Projects under the Cultural Facilities theme include those which improve recreation, interest and education. They could include exhibition and interpretation improvements, interactive displays, outdoor amphitheatre spaces or auditorium seating. The facility should be inclusive and inspire and promote learning, creativity and participation. Local communities, as project beneficiaries, should be able to enjoy, benefit and engage with collections, exhibits or performances taking place within such institutions as often as possible. The project could be based within a theatre, gallery, museum, concert hall, arts or heritage centre.
- The project site must be within five miles of a significant Biffa operation or within 10 miles of an active Biffa Landfill site. Check your project’s postcode using the Postcode Checker below.
- The project site must also be within 10 miles of any licensed landfill site. To find your nearest landfill site, telephone the regulator Entrust on 01926 488300.
- The applicant organisation and project must be eligible for enrolment and registration with the scheme regulator, ENTRUST. There will be conditions for any grant approved. Please note that organisations must be not for profit. Local authorities cannot apply or enrol.
- The site must be owned by the applicant or there must be a signed lease of more than 10 years in place between the applicant and the landowner.
- The total cost of the project must be less than £200,000, inclusive of VAT.
- There must be be a minimum of 104 days of full public access to the project per year.
- Any Biffa Award grant must be used for site-based improvement work, not for movable equipment, staff core costs or storage facilities.
- Biffa Award is unable to fund requests to help an existing facility meet the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act.
- Biffa Award is unable to fund retrospectively, so you should only apply for funding for work that will take place in the future.
To find out more download our Guidance Notes. Please note that these might have changed if you have applied for funding before.