DALZIEL ST ANDREW’S PARISH CHURCH
Established in 1874, Dalziel St Andrews Parish Church is a Grade B listed building in the centre of Motherwell. The Church has been transformed following a £50,000 grant from Biffa Award to improve its heating systems and reduce the carbon footprint. The project, which replaced the traditional heating system and cast-iron pipes with brand new boilers and radiators, formed phase one of a larger development scheme to improve the space for the benefit of the local community.
Thanks to the tireless work of the dedicated volunteers on the Church Committee, the new heating system has led to much greater energy efficiency, an increase in room bookings, and many further developments including a new scheme to establish links between volunteer ‘Befrienders’ and isolated or lonely elderly people in the town.
During the Biffa Awards in 2013 the project won the Community Buildings award.